Successful small business owners know that there is more to building a stable and powerful business than offering great products or services. Growing a small business involves attracting attention to your brand and informing the world about how great your products or services are.
For any type of business to survive, it needs to have customers and advertising for small businesses is the best way to get customers. Without advertisement, you can’t compete with other businesses trying to catch your customers’ attention.
There are a few approaches to advertising, and choosing the right one can be challenging. To help you with this important business aspect, we are sharing the 5 best advertising strategies for small business.
Create a Brand Image
Your brand is more than just a business name, logo, and colors. Your company’s brand is a promise to your buyers, a promise they can expect reliability, professionalism, quality, and consistency from your business.
A brand is a combination of expectations, stories, memories, and relationships that differentiates you from others and give your prospects a reason to choose you.
More than 70% of marketers believe that branding is essential to business growth. If branding is so important, it makes sense to build your company image carefully.
When creating a brand image, you need to know who your customers are, what you want to tell them, where you want to tell them, and how you want to share the message. Here are some great tips to help you build a unique brand image:
- Invest ins memorable and simple logo and use it everywhere.
- Find the best colors that represent the values of your brand. This is important because color increases business or brand recognition by 80%?
- Have a brand message. What you want customers to think of you when they see your brand?
- Define a voice that matches your brand.
- Use your brand in absolutely every aspect of your business.
- Come up with a meaningful and concise tagline that expresses your brand.
- Be consistent in your branding.
Have a Goal and Determine Your Budget
One of the most important things you need to think about when coming up with your advertising ideas for small business is what you want to achieve.
The business goals should be SMART or Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound.
- Specific: When defining your goals, you need to be as specific as possible. Saying you want to improve your sales is not a goal. Saying you want to increase your sales by the end of the year by 20% is specific.
- Measurable: Your advertising goals should be tied to the number of new customers, sales, number of subscriptions, etc.
- Attainable: Don’t set goals that are impossible. Instead, your goals should be reachable and achievable if you stretch yourself.
- Relevant: Your goals should be relevant to the mission and vision of your business.
- Time-bound: All goals should have an expiry date.
Having a budget means you will be able to accomplish all goals on time without breaking the bank. Two best methods allocating budget for advertising are the unit sales method and the percentage of sales method. The advertising budget doesn’t have to take up a big portion of your revenue. Businesses usually spend about 12% of their revenue on advertising.
Take Advantage of Content Marketing
Content marketing is a very effective advertising strategy whose focus is to use quality content to nurture close relationships with your customers.
When we say content marketing we think of blog posts, articles, print material, infographics, video content, press, etc.
This strategy is more effective than paid advertising. In fact, 70% of customers say they would rather buy from a business after reading a valuable article than through other advertisement forms.
Content marketing comes with many benefits for small businesses:
- Increased website traffic
- Increased brand awareness
- Addresses customer issues
- Showcase authority
- Helps build brand credibility
- Create awareness about your products
- Increases leads
- Increases email subscriptions
- Help move customers through the buyer’s journey.
Target Your Audience
One big mistake customers make is trying to reach everyone with their advertising ideas. Your products or services can’t solve the problems of anyone on Earth. If you want effective advertising for small business, you need to understand who your target customers are.
Your target audience determines the kind of products or services you offer, the language you use in your ads, your marketing decisions, the channels you want to advertise in, etc.
If you advertise without knowing who your target audience is, you can’t expect results. To come up with an idea of who you should target with your advertising, you should consider these four questions:
- Who are your ideal customers?
- What is their biggest problem?
- Where do they search for information?
- Who do they trust?
Master Social Media Platforms
Small businesses today can’t afford to avoid social media. Social media platforms provide an easy and cheap way of increasing customer engagement and growing brand awareness.
More than 90% of all marketers say that they have increased business exposure through social media. Others have managed to increase their traffic. This shows any business that is not using social media is missing out on great opportunities.
There are social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, Google +, and many others. Having a profile on these platforms is an opportunity to reach to your audience.
Different social media platforms attract different people. Find out which platform is a favorite among your customers. You can use brand engagement to guide you.
There is no shortage of advertising strategies you can use to market your business. The strategies discussed are best for a small business that is trying to develop and grow and doesn’t have a big budget to spend on advertising. For your campaigns to be effective, you need to analyze the results of your efforts and keep optimizing to improve your results.
Read more about budget ideas to market your small business online